Saturday, November 05, 2005

Musings on the White Sox, Cubs

To paraphrase St. Paul, when I was child, I thought, acted and behaved like a child. When I became a man, I put away childish things... Almost. When I was kid, I loved the Cubs as much as I absolutely loathed the White Sox. Chicago definitely wasn't big enough for the both of them. As I've gotten older, I've mellowed somewhat on the Sox loathing -- I can treat them like any other baseball team that's not the Cubs -- I appreciate good baseball wherever and whoever plays it, just not when you're playing my team.

The World Series however, awakened some of those old feelings, likely out of envy -- now the Cubs have everyone beat by at least 40 years with respect to not winning a title. I found myself hoping that someone, anyone, would put a stop to the Sox's postseason march, just because the rabid Sox fan can't be content to enjoy their team's victory, they've got to rub it in the face of Cubs Nation as well.

The truth is however, that while I'll never be a Sox fan, I enjoyed the way this team played baseball in 2005 -- you can't be a baseball fan and not appreciate the way these guys came to play every day. Sure beats listening to the same tired excuses on the North Side week in and week out. And maybe this lights a fire at Wrigley -- maybe the Cubs'll take a chance or two to put an end to their fans' misery. Gotta believe that glass is half full...

No comments: