Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Bestest Socks Ever

Jeff C's blog and it's discussion of gray tube socks got me reminiscing about my favorite socks -- white Calvin Klein tube socks, that I found in Paris on Jen and my trip to France. Before you go pegging me as an ugly American (I am, in fact, quite attractive) or as noveau rich, hear my story. While Jen and I made it to Paris with no problem, our luggage spent a wonderful long weekend in the beerhalls of Munich, only to be returned 12 hours before our return flight so that we could lug them back to the airport. After about 36 hours in the same clothes, with no hope of reprieve in sight (and to avoid becoming the Smelly American) we ventured out to a department store to find some Land End style and price type clothes. It was here, (among the French clothes that screamed go back to America to find "husky" sized clothing, Toughskins boy) that I came upon the greatest socks ever, the French version of the Calvin Klein tube socks.

What made them so great? Try stepping into a hug. That's how these socks made your feet feel. I could walk in them for hours upon hours, play basketball in them, whatever, and my feet felt as light and frothy as a freshly opened can of Mr. Pibb. One of the more disappointing days of my life was the day I tragically had to come to the realization the socks had expired (kind of like the day the music died in "American Pie"). Even sadder, I've searched for these socks across the U.S., and the Calvin Kleins just don't compare. While I wouldn't consider myself obsessive, I feel that my search for the socks echoes Captain Ahab's search for the white whale in "Moby Dick." They were that great.

3 comments:

Jeff Cagwin said...

Y'know, I think I will try stepping into a hug. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the changes that make it possible for me to comment, because I'm sure you've been waiting with pregnant anticipaton to hear from your mother-in-law! I remember your love for those socks and if things weren't so unrestful in Paris right now, Pat and I would go get you some for Christmas.
P.S. I love what you write, but I have to admit that sometimes it's way above my simple thought and reading processes for me to comment on, but I love reading it none the less.

Anonymous said...

Mom - wouldn't want you and dad in harm's way, so you could just buy plane tix for me and John for christmas and we'll go get the socks ourselves.