Monday, October 16, 2006

(Lack of) Choice 2006

Was talking to Mrs. Tarzan (Jane?) recently, about the lack of excitement the 2006 elections are generating for me. Here in Illinois, we have a choice between two of the Seven Dwarfs, Sleazy (Governor Blagojevich) and Angry (the un-gubernatorial Judy Barr Topinka). Sleazy, is just that -- a "lite" version of the equally sleazy William Jefferson Clinton, whose policies I by and large agreed with, but whose ethically challenged leadership was lacking -- although Blago's sleazy deals largely with family and friends accepting questionable payments, kickbacks, rather than strange tricks with cigars. Also, with the Gov., none of the charges have yet to result in any indictment.

The problem with Angry is that she refuses to disown the sleazy Republican establishment in Illinois (she's a disciple of those that ennabled George Ryan) and she's running a campaign like the grumpy old man on your block who threatened to steal your baseball if it landed on his lawn when you were a kid (and did to me, at least once). Her policies are also far from the type I can get behind. Unfortunately, there's no real third party candidate to speak of.

So, what to do about the gubernatorial election in November? I've actually considered refusing to vote for governor given the choices, but given my belief exercising my right to vote, I'm more likely to vote with the uninspiring Dems than the equally uninspiring Republicans, because, I figure, go with the party that brought you to the dance, all other things being equal. Or maybe I'll write in "Abe Lincoln". Or Franklin Roosevelt. Or Diamond Joe Quimby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The answer is easy--vote for Rich Whitney, the Green Party's candidate for Illinois Governor!