Thursday, November 04, 2004

Shame on My Fellow Democrats

I live in Oak Park, Illinois, which is a Democrat stronghold just outside of Chicago. A few days before the election, I noticed that a number of large Bush/Cheney signs on lawns in the area had been defaced, presumably by fellow Democrats. This is exactly the kind of disrespect for another's beliefs and values that causes the political dialogue to break down, and also shows a surprising lack of respect for the right to freedom of speech. I don't believe in the Republican platform, but at the end of the day, I think we have to listen to each other, even if we don't like what we hear, and try to find some common ground. If in fact, these signs were defaced by Democrats, and local Democrats condone this behavior as hijinks or some harmless prank, then I'd like to apologize to my neighbors whose signs were defaced on behalf of Democrats for conduct that is clearly out of line and not in keeping with what I believe the party represents.

No comments: