Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Fo' Mo'

The votes have been counted, and the incumbent won. While not a surprising development, it's not an outcome I'm happy with for the myriad of reasons most Democrats would offer. I will say that I'm glad that Kerry conceded today, rather than involve attorneys (of which I am one) and try to prolong the outcome. Kerry's concession was both statesmanlike and realistic, knowing that any challenge in Ohio would merely delay the country's ability to move on, as in 2000.

The end of the current president's second term will coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Chicago Cubs' last World Series victory. Eerily enough, the President in 1908 was Teddy Roosevelt, also from a multi-president family (see FDR) , and Roosevelt happened to be a Republican. Coincidence, or a harbinger of future Cubs success? I choose to believe the latter, given the fact I'll have to sit through four more years of presidential mediocrity.

No comments: