Monday, January 29, 2007

The Thriller -- A Sorbet to Cleanse the Literary Palette

As I mentioned days ago, I've been on a history kick -- reading non-fiction almost exclusively for about a year. The other day I broke the habit -- I bought and read Codex by Lev Grossman, a novel about an investment banker drawn into a search for a medieval book that may or may or not exist that lies at the center of a power struggle between a n English duke and duchess. While it seemed like the perfect tonic to my history fix -- a novel, but about a (fake) historical subject, the book unfortunately, was boring. It was neither thrilling nor particularly interesting at all, despite starting off with a bang. The characters were wooden and the plot turned out to be exceedingly lame; I figured out the surprise twist at the ending about halfway through. Needless to say, I don't recommend it...

No comments: