Monday, January 10, 2005

NFL Playoff Picks -- Part Deux

One for four in the wild card round -- need a big conference semi round to turn things around...

AFC

Indianapolis at New England -- Patriots 38-35

I really want to pick the Colts here, particularly with the injuries to Richard Seymour and the Pats' secondary. However, the head is saying that Belichick and his defense are in Peyton Manning's head, and Manning's history against the Pats is woeful. I'm going to stick with NE in a tight game decided by a Manning TO.

NY Jets at Pittsburgh -- Steelers 24-14

At some point in the post-season, Ben Roethlisberger is going to play like Bubby Brister instead of Terry Bradshaw -- it's inevitable because the kid is a rookie. However, Pittsburgh's D and its running backs had Big Ben's back all season long, and I can't beleive the Steelers won't find a way to get it done here.

NFC

Minnesota at Philadelphia -- Minnesota 31-24

The question is which Vikings team will show up? The team that started the year 7-4 and walloped the Pack in Lambeau last week, or the gutless wonders who finished 1-4 and find ways to play well below their talent? The other question is whether the Eagles' O can outscore Minnesota, even with the Vikes' porous defense (which for the life of me I can't understand when you look at that D top to bottom). I'm saying Vikings, so make sure you pick Philly if you're a betting man or woman.

St. Louis at Atlanta -- Atlanta 35-21

I don't think the Rams can sustain their play of the last three weeks, nor do I think they'll be able to contain Mike Vick. The biggest concern is how the Falcons will respond to their first meaningful game in about a month. The thought here is that they'll be okay...



4 comments:

Tarzan Joe Wallis said...

Until Manning beats the Pats, I humbly submit that you demonstrate how the reverse is true -- how is Belichick not in Manning's head, particularly given the way the Colts have lost those games (3 Manning INTs to Ty Law in last year's playoff game, for example, two bad picks in the first game this year, etc.). The Colts could put 50 points on the board, and if they lose due to the fact Manning plays outside of himself (he doesn't typically throw bad picks, unlike Brett Favre) I'll stand by my statement that it's Belichick's defensive schemes, that confound Manning, because little else seems to...

Tarzan Joe Wallis said...

I'll continue to respectfully disagree -- it's less about numbers and more about killer instinct. If you consistently throw picks at critical times against the same team, it doesn't matter to me if you threw for 5 TDs previously -- you've got to be able to finish the job. Manning hasn't shown he can do this against the Pats. He's been playing with a lousy defense since he was a rookie, it's a known quantity for him. Doesn't make him a bad QB, I'd still take him, just not against New England. I do question his heart when he consistently makes bad decisions against the same team, whose schemes are concocted by the head coach.

Tarzan Joe Wallis said...

Being lit up all game and then making a play at the end to preserve the win is the very definition of clutch. The truly great ones have that winning instinct in them; the best of the best put up the stats and win.

Tarzan Joe Wallis said...

At any rate, I hope Manning proves me wrong because I'd like to see anyone but NE advance. ;)